http://www.wisdenauction.com/detail.asp?id=2152

Enjoy

Chris
Happy Collecting!
edgwarerover
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by edgwarerover »

It is of considerable concern that the vendor of this lot chooses to change identities at frequent intervals so that potential buyers do know with whom they are dealing. One minute he is "ashes to ashes" next minute he is "kwd48" and finally "Welchanoss".

Does he know who he is? Or is he ashamed of his actual identity? Or has he something else to hide?

J J
blair
Wisden Guru
wisdens collected: 0

Full set now listed

Post by blair »

I have bought from Welchanos before and received excellent service and would also have just as much confidence buying from kwd48.

As yet, JJ, that I have never bought from you, nor have I even made a bid on any of your items for sale.
kwd48
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by kwd48 »

Thanks Blair, your comments are appreciated, however I had better clear up any misunderstanding about aliases, particularly because of EWR’s snide comments.

Firstly, Ashestoashes is very much his own man, with his own views and he will not be influenced by anything I say -“ so definitely not me! My ebay id is kwd48 and the only one I’ve ever used, which I also use on this site. The only reason -˜welchanos’ was created was to assist in the testing of the Administrator’s new auction site, I simply never got around to deleting it and adding my normal id when the site was launched. So kwd48 = welchanos and doesn’t change from minute to minute.

I’m happy that a full and frank discussion on my listing should properly be debated here, and I don’t have a problem with negative comments. Any tit-for-tat rubbish should be moved to the -˜darkside’ which forum members can read or ignore as they see fit.
blair
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by blair »

Couldn't agree more...it's a bit like calling JJ, Kathleen!
hmsmiley
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by hmsmiley »

I have dealt with KWD and consider him a very reputable and honest person, I dont think it sinister that welchanos has been used as an alternative id.

But am curious why JJ also calls him A2A if they are different people?

Never bought from Kathleen but I have seen nothing to suggest she is not a completely honest trader and I think forum members she remember that when making comments about her.
lawsideopener
Wisden Guru
wisdens collected: 151

Full set now listed

Post by lawsideopener »

This should probably be posted to a new thread but as she is mentioned already here, I'll post it and leave Chris to decide if it needs to be moved.

I have now bought from Kathleen twice on ebay, including my purchase on Sunday which hasn't arrived as yet. The one item I have received was exactly as described, the communications were excellent and the delivery was prompt. The Wisden concerned was not in the greatest of condition only in terms of the binding having split but this was fully described in the listing and the price I paid represented what I considered to be a bargain for an almost 90 year old book even with a split spine.

The 1887/88 rebind I bought on Sunday will, I'm sure, show the same level of accuracy in its description and I know it will arrive tomorrow as Kathleen has e-mailed me to let me know when she's sending it by special delivery.

I don't know if Kathleen has had any other ebay identities or if she is a friend of JJ's but I certainly can't fault her for her descriptions or service. I know that she sold a couple of 1880's at the weekend with facsimilie covers and some facsmilie pages. They went for far more than I was prepared to pay for such items but I would happily have added them to the collection if the price had been right as they would be better than the Willows which currently occupy those slots.

As to the full set, I don't see why anyone should carp at this. We can't all afford to stick to the Benno standard and, if I had the cash and was missing large chunks from 1879 on, I would be more than happy to have a set like this.
blair
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by blair »

All credit to Kathleen then as a seller...I wasn't intending to impugn her character by comparing her to JJ as no comparison was intended...merely to point out that ill-informed identification can annoy people.
ashes2ashes
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by ashes2ashes »

Hi Jon/HMSSmiley

I have no idea whatsoever why JJ should think I am the same as kwd/welchanos!

Unless he has been sat in the sun too long perhaps?

I too have looked at some of kathleens lots and also found her descriptions very informative and accurate.

Slightly puzzled then that as JJ said she was a very good friend of his he has seemed to have "dissed" her items for sale....

Oh well, gave up ages ago trying to understand him...
fredfertang
Wisden Guru
wisdens collected: 1

Full set now listed

Post by fredfertang »

Maybe it's Ken and Rich's not entirely dissimilar geographical location that threw JJ a curveball?

Anyway to more important questions - would love to know Ken's rationale in selling as a set rather than individually

"Shut up Fred you nosy bastard - wait until after the auction is finished and I might give you a clue" would be an understandable if, slightly disappointing, answer
ashes2ashes
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by ashes2ashes »

Not sure who may be more offended....

Me in Bristol

or Ken in Devon

as to the aspersion that Bristol and deepest Devon are nearby...

You may have caused havoc in the property market Fred!

If it was a curved ball, would it be coming back as a straight one..or would the dog have intercepted it?

fredfertang
Wisden Guru
wisdens collected: 1

Full set now listed

Post by fredfertang »

Grimble will understand what I meant .
kwd48
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by kwd48 »

Well we are 80 miles or so apart but I guess that looks pretty close from down under!

Anyway Fred, there was no particularly deep reason for listing as a 'set', but I wanted to see what interest it would generate, and thought it would be very good publicity for the site. I may consider breaking it up if it doesn't sell as I may need some cash due to being unemployed as of last week. Not desperate yet though, so not giving the books away!

Cheers fer now.

Ken
blair
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by blair »

Ken, I am sorry to here that...I hope the set or it's individual parts go for plenty and exceed your expectations.
edgwarerover
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by edgwarerover »

It will fetch bugger all if the dog gets to it first!!!!!!!!!!
edgwarerover
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by edgwarerover »

In view of the fact that the vendor has put an iron curtain around Devon in order to preclude my entry into "Baskerville" country, I am sending my own pitbull down to sniff out possible areas for recconaissance. I have told him that the opposition is likely to be a somewhat spineless but he ignawed my advice and has armed himself with meat cleaver and angle grinder.
ashes2ashes
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by ashes2ashes »

Aggravated burglary then?

Is it not a retriever or a pinscher rather than a pit bull?
gooch333
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by gooch333 »

Just thought I should make it clear that Keith and I (Ju) are definitely not the same person, although I am sure he would look rather fetching in a dress!

Sorry best pal, only joking!!
blair
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by blair »

Could it really just be a maltese or chihuahua who thinks he's a pit bull?

Thanks for clearing that up Ju...it can be confusing...but maybe not quite that confusing .
edgwarerover
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by edgwarerover »

I see poor old Ken failed to sell his set!! Not surprising since the best bid seemed to be "over the top" anyway and yet it still did not reach the "reserve". I could not see the individual books making more than£17000 if sold separately, so no hope for anybody trying to make a "bob or two"
cridler
Site Admin
wisdens collected: 3687

Full set now listed

Post by cridler »

Hi JJ,

I had a good go at valuing them along with 2 other collectors and we came up to 18,000 - 20,500, what was your valuation?

And I had the 45 at £100 not £138.50 .

CR
Happy Collecting!
cridler
Site Admin

Full set now listed

Post by cridler »

An interesting thing though is that over 1200 PCs viewed the item , does that tell us there is at least 1000 collectors on-line out there?
Happy Collecting!
edgwarerover
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by edgwarerover »

Chris: I worked on this set for an hour or so and came up with £17125 but this was based on the type of prices I might realise.

Yes, I know I paid a little over the odds for what I hope is a pretty decent '45 but then, you know my propensity for WW2 copies.

J J
Bill
Top Collector

Full set now listed

Post by Bill »

The set was a good set, well described, both honestly and when asked, quickly and politely. Shame that some of the older books on eBay currently listed arent so well described. This full set was worth more than the final price.
edgwarerover
Wisden Guru

Full set now listed

Post by edgwarerover »

Why didn't you bid for it, then?

Perhaps Old Ken might try it on Ebay, he might just get lucky!!!!
cridler
Site Admin

Full set now listed

Post by cridler »

I added up every book and came to £19,200, at my sort of prices. If I looked at say JMc/Cs or SPs webpages, I think Id get to £24,000

I guess it wasnt a bargain for an investment (although was still good money in there) and as a full set a lot of us would have some of them already

I just want to thank Ken for his efforts with the Catalogue and in helping promote WA

Cheers Mr D
Happy Collecting!
Will

Full set now listed

Post by Will »

"An interesting thing though is that over 1200 PCs viewed the item , does that tell us there is at least 1000 collectors on-line out there? "

Where do you get that number from Chris? Are you sure these are genuine unique human visits, or could they be search or other robots scanning your site?